John Boe, The Tragedy of Macbeth: Five Topics for Discussion and Writing
- Religion in Macbeth: Some critics and directors have emphasized the religious themes in Macbeth. Where in the play do such themes emerge? What are these themes? Are they explicitly Christian and just generally religious?
- Important Words and Images in Macbeth: Certain words and images appear over and over in Macbeth. Pick on such repeated word or image, then find all passages containing it. Try to say how this repeated word or image contributes to your experience of the play and also how it helps create the play’s meaning.
- The Macbeths’ Marriage: Lady Macbeth and Macbeth are a couple. Describe their relationship and how and why it changes.
- The Role of Women: How does the play Macbeth (in particular Lady Macbeth, Lady Macduff, and the witches) represent women?
- The Character of Macbeth: Show how Macbeth’s character changes over time by analyzing three of his speeches, one from the beginning of the play, one from the middle, and one from the end.
John Boe, The Tragedy of Macbeth: The Play Today