You are browsing the archive for Minutes.

Meeting: 2011-09-05

James Harriman-Smith - September 10, 2011 in Minutes

PRESENT

JHS IE

AGENDA

Planning for the autumn: principles? Promoting article series

ACTIONS

Email on okf discuss / humanities about BarCamp How do Panton principles apply to literature? – forward draft to email lists once you have something, cf jwyg

  • Check out opendatacookbook.net
  • Check out Panton Principles
  • Good use of wiki.openliterature.net

Open Literature mailing lists – browse and encourage more direct participation from lurkers
Visualisations: of annotations on a specific text?
Future Hackday: for publishing open literature principles

NEXT MEETING

Sunday 18th September 3pm / 4pm: Agenda: future text camp, progress with principles

Meeting: 2011-08-10

James Harriman-Smith - August 10, 2011 in Community, Minutes

PRESENT

RP
JHS

AGENDA

  • Text Camp organisation
  • Administration
  • Debrief

ACTIONS

  • Ping mark re: openbibli lis; register
  • Make clear that registration essential wiki and eventbrite empf free & sec
  • Copy out of wiki
  • Edit eventbrite to fri
  • Research open guide
  • Make sure new volunteers to LC
  • Add counters / status bars on openlit / wiki
  • Blogpost about editions

Meeting: 2011-08-04

James Harriman-Smith - August 4, 2011 in Community, Minutes

PRESENT

JHS
RP

AGENDA

Text Camp Activities

  • Speakers?
  • Topics?

Text Camp Attendance/admin

  • JISC
  • Promotional materials
  • OKF presence

ACTIONS

  • Ask wifi – remote attendance
    • irc channel, skype …
  • Read up on XCamp activities
  • Ping Ben O’Steen, Mark McGillivray (+ know anyone else?), UCL (esp. Bentham)
  • Front page of wiki.openliterature.net – boxy setup as on http://wiki.okfn.org/
  • Editable wiki for activities: ‘Lightning Talks’
  • Add posts to OKF group wall
  • Email participants to encourage: Wiki edits and join okfn group
  • Sketch structure based on BarCamp / OpenSpaceTech

Meeting: 2011-08-02

James Harriman-Smith - August 2, 2011 in Minutes

PRESENT

JHS
IE
LC

AGENDA

Concerns over Text Camp venue
Activities for Text Camp
Promotion for Text Camp

ACTIONS

Provide more details on text camp activities already listed
Add the following to list of activities:

  • Project showcase
  • Calendar
  • Central activity description

Once venue confirmed:

  • Email Ian for promo
  • Contact:Jonathan Gray, Gutenberg, ebook companies, print-on-demand

At end of event:

  • Aftermath blog post
  • Enter all contact details into highrise

Open Literature Bulletin: 2011-07-29

James Harriman-Smith - July 29, 2011 in Community, Minutes

News this week:

Some things that you might like to do:

  • Join us for a chat on Skype at 5pm on Monday 1st August (6pm in the UK, 7pm in Western Europe, 1pm in Massachusetts)
  • Email your comments on our mock-up edition of Hamlet to this list: http://bit.ly/qaDLHd
  • Comment on / email observations about the state of our application to Inventare il Futuro: http://bit.ly/qrPb0r
  • Tell me whether you think a print-on-demand edition of word of the day articles as a ‘Shakespeare A-Z’ would be a good idea / promotional tool for Open Shakespeare.

Open Literature Bulletin: 2011-07-22

James Harriman-Smith - July 22, 2011 in Community, Minutes

This bulletin was originally sent as an email to the members of the open-literature list. To join it, visit: lists.okfn.org

A Special announcement

OKF Text Camp – 13th August 2011, 10am-6pm, London
Tickets (free) on:http://textcamp2011.eventbrite.com
Details on: http://wiki.openliterature.net/Text_Camp_2011

Sundry news

  • http://openliterature.net now carries minutes of meetings, and copies of these mails under http://openliterature.net/category/minutes
  • http://wiki.openliterature.net now includes an archive of promotional material, and all the previous contents of the Open Shakespeare wiki
  • H G Wells society sent us an email on Monday saying that they are very interested by http://annotateit.org and that they will discuss using the anotator on their online editions of his works.
  • Open Shakespeare’s new words of the day this week: Vizard, Xantippe, Yoke, and Zany: all on http://openshakespeare.org/word – which now has one entry for every letter of the alphabet
  • In September, Open Shakespeare will carry a series of guest blog posts on the topic ‘Shakespeare and the Internet’: I have seven confirmed contributors from many different walks of life (actors, academics, bloggers) and look forward to organising others, especially those with a computer science background (if that’s you, let me know).

A few ideas on how to get involved:

  • Contribute a blog post on ‘Shakespeare and the Internet’: anything of between 500 and 1000 words in length that fits into this category will be very welcome. Just drop me a mail with any questions.
  • Book a place at Text Camp 2011, or suggest an activity
  • Write a WOTD article (some ideas: elephant, quail, garter)
  • Annotate a Shakespeare play: we’re getting near 700 individual comments now!

Meeting: 2011-07-18

James Harriman-Smith - July 19, 2011 in Community, Minutes

PRESENT

Rufus Pollock
James Harriman-Smith

AGENDA

Establish long-term aims for Open Literature
Establish short term actions

LONG TERM

Integration into schools
Integration into universities
Funding
Spread internationally
Improvements to annotator: profile page, facebook

ACTIONS

Events

Write to annotator-dev re: treasure hunt
Text Camp: write Iain, write Kat for use of room on Friday 12th / Saturday 13th August
Skype-up: organise for Tuesdays – if that works for Iain

Volunteers

Connect to more blogs, write about them
Guest introducer for Hamlet prototype
More guest writers: introductions and blogs
List volunteering options on openliterature sidebar

Writing

Finish Introductions
Finish WOTDs: yoke, zany
Write Openlit / S piece

Admin

Invoice Rufus
Enter NESTA meeting people into highrise, tag with openlit, note date
Expand openlit wiki: move from wiki.okfn.org (use open spending as a model), blurbs, links to pictures/big pdfs on archive.org
Create openshakespeare editor profile on annotateIT

Funding

NESTA application with arts partner (?)
Complete Inventare application

Tech

Install wordpress on local machine
Run tests for UI on balsamiq
Publish Hamlet prototype

Rufus

RP: Fix Henry VI Introductions
RP: automate WOTD
RP: Fix stats page
RP: Change anonymous annotation users to Shakespeare

Meeting: 2011-07-06

James Harriman-Smith - July 11, 2011 in Minutes

Present

James Harriman-Smith
Rufus Pollock

Discussion

Architecture

CMS: where we can post stuff including a blog …
openliterature.net/blog/
shakespeare.openliterature.net / openshakespeare.org
openliterature.net/{text}/….

What to do with Open Shakespeare?
1. Distinct site with texts, their annotations; statistical tools; intros
2. Part of Open Literature supersite

Actions

Found Open Literature website
Work out Open Shakespeare’s role

Meeting: 2011-07-06

James Harriman-Smith - July 11, 2011 in Minutes

Present

James Harriman-Smith (JHS) Lucy Chambers (LC)
Kat Braybrooke

Discussion

Founding a Working Group

  • Open Literature Working Group: http://okfn.org/groups/open-literature-working-group/
  • http://wiki.okfn.org/HowTos#Working_groups

Fundraising

  • http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk
  • http://www.crowdcube.com/

Art competition

  • http://socialartsnetwork.ning.com/page/art-competitions?xg_source=activity
  • http://www.deviantart.com/
  • http://www.5oup.net/
  • http://www.facebook.com/
  • UK art/illustration school shout-outs

Actions

JHS Flesh out open literature wiki
JHS Contact crowdfunder with proposal
JHS Write Crowdfunder proposal
JHS Call for art contributions: competition first in schools
JHS to contact humanities list about interested parties (suggest meetup in London)
JHS Open Literature Blog (Deprecate OpenShakespeare)
JHS Create Group on OKFN.org (use clipart for time being)
JHS to post idea to “aditya hari” hari.aditya@gmail.com & Kat Braybrooke.
JHS call for participation for tech-savvy people – mention open-literature.org as domain

LC to register openliterature.net
LC to give James openlit etherpad
LC to create openliterature@okfn.org

Minutes of Meeting: 2011-2-13

openliterature - February 23, 2011 in Community, Minutes

Present: JHS, JB, RP

Annotation Sprint

Overall, a success, but could certainly benefit from an extended period of build-up and publicity.
A radio report on the event can be found here: http://www.camfm.co.uk/player/player.php?epid=754
TCS (The Cambridge Student Newspaper) published an article on us too, available as a pdf here: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/download/TCS_Volume12_Lent_Issue5.pdf

Software

A new programmer will be working on the annotation tool, aiming to implement tagging.
Other useful features could include: line reference, filtering…

Website

New word of the day logo!

British Library

RP and JHS will be speaking at the British Library on Thursday 24th February. Do get in touch with anything you’d like us to speak about.